font family: 'Shadows', cursive;

Friday 11 July 2014

Faith Filled Fridays: Prayer.

I would say that outside of self-forgiveness, prayer is the weakest point in my faith. It's not that I don't understand its importance, it's just something I have never done a lot of. I always operated around the notion that keeping an ongoing dialogue with God in my head was sufficient. I still think that this continuous conversation is something to be cherished, but lately my prayer life has been blossoming.
 
I'm going to get a bit "naked" here. I have some serious anxiety issues. Body shaking, chest aching, uncontrollable crying anxiety issues. As of late they've been worse than usual. The escalating problems essentially left me with two choices: continue to live with this painful (physically and mentally) and debilitating illness day in and day out, or make some changes. While change is scary, and probably has a lot to do with my worsening symptoms, it clearly seemed like the better choice.
 
Enter prayer.
 
Over a year ago now I was at a small gathering and one friend was sharing how she spent more time being intimate with God. She stopped listening to music in her car. She turned off the radio and instead of rocking out she talked with God.
 
I've started banning radio noise during my morning commute, and instead filling that time with prayer. What. A. Difference. Each morning I get up, go to the gym, get ready, do some chores, whatever it takes to make me feel like I am ready to face the day. Then on my way to work I talk with God about whatever is on my heart.
 
It's a perfect solution. I can't by-pass it, I have to drive to work everyday. It's calming. It prepares me.

http://shereadstruth.com/
From She Reads Truth.
Here's the best part: I haven't had an anxiety attack since.
I'm not naïve. I know I will have one again but for the time being, I have some relief, and even more so I am connecting more intimately with God than ever before.

My prayer this week is that each of you find an outlet from your demons. That you would find a way to connect more intimately with God and thus experience freedom and growth. Amen.

Have a super weekend!
xo A

No comments :

Post a Comment